Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Not jealous

By Tawna Henshaw

I met a woman who doesn't feel jealous. At all.
I asked her why. Her answer destroyed everything
I knew about love.

I expected her to say:
"I trust him." "I don't care what he does."
"Jealousy is toxic."
Instead, she looked at me and said, "I used to be
jealous. Then one day I realized something. If I
have to constantly worry about another woman
taking my place...I'm already living like I'm 
replaceable."

She continued: "I don't compete with other
women, I don't check his phone. I don't compare
myself to his exes. I don't investigate every woman
who likes his photos." Then she paused. "That's 
not love. That's surveillance."

"So what if he finds someone more attractive?"
So what if someone flirts with him?"
"I can't control what other people do."
"I can only control what I accept."
And that's when I understood. Her confidence
wasn't based on controlling him.
It was based on trusting herself.

She said: "If someone wants to betray me, I won't
spend my life trying to prevent it. I'll simply leave
when they show me who they are." No begging.
No competition. No revenge.
Just a boundary.

That's when I realized why her relationships
looked different. She wasn't trying to keep
someone who wanted to leave. She wasn't afraid
of being alone. She wasn't measuring her worth
against every woman in the room.
She knew she could survive losing someone she
loved.

Maybe confidence in love isn't thinking: "They
could never choose someone else." Maybe it's
knowing: "If they do, I'll be okay." Because real
security isn't controlling someone else's choices.
It's knowing your own worth doesn't disappear
when someone chooses differently.

That woman I met...was me.

No comments:

Post a Comment