Friday, October 9, 2026

Stop thinking

 By Shastin Stracener

I wasn't even listening to the lesson. I was six
paragraphs ahead, rehearsing the word
"particularly" like my entire future depended on it.

Then somebody would read two paragraphs 
instead of one and ruin the whole operation. Now
I'm recalculating like NASA, my heart is racing, and
suddenly I don't know how to pronounce "the."

So when somebody tells me to relax and stop
thinking so much, please understand: I have
YEARS of experience preparing for situations that
haven't happened yet.

I can turn a slightly different tone in a text 
message into a full investigation. You said "okay"
instead of "okayyy," and now apparently I need to
review our entire relationship.

It's funny until you realize how exhausting it is.
Rehearsing conversations. Replaying what you
said. Trying to anticipate every possible outcome
so nothing catches you off guard. Sometimes
you're sitting somewhere perfectly peaceful, but
your mind has already created three problems and
an emergency exit plan.

If you relate, I hope you get a little break from your
own thoughts today. You deserve to enjoy a good 
moment without having to figure out what could
go wrong with it.

But if we're reading out loud, please stick to your
assigned paragraph. Some of us have a system.


"Stop overthinking."

I used to count how many kids
were ahead of me so I could
figure out exactly which 
paragraph I'd have to read
out loud.

You think I developed this
personality last week?

No comments:

Post a Comment